Ceramics in Morbi
Home to more than 600 manufacturing units, it is the largest ceramics manufacturing cluster in India and second largest in the world. It mostly comprises of SMES, but, they often cater to big brands in the industry. It’s not surprising that more than 80% of India’s production comes from Morbi. It employs directly more than 0.35 million people and around 12000 other indirectly, generating a revenue of more than ₹225 billion.
Kajaria ceramics, HR Johnson, Asian tiles (AGL Tiles), Somani Tiles, NITCO are few of the big companies that outsource their requirements to Morbi or, are based in Morbi. The industrial area produces Wall tiles, Floor tiles, Vitrified tiles, Polished Glazed Vitrified Tiles, Twin Charged Tiles, Multi - Colour Charged Tiles in various formats starting from 20X40 cm to 120X180 cm in a wide range of designs and colours. It also produces sanitary ware, industrial ceramics and technical ceramic products.
Key to success
· Availability of cheap Labour.
· Mundra and Kandla ports nearby, make export easy.
· Easy availability of raw materials and uninterrupted power supply.
· GAIL: industrial gas line provides for a cheaper source of fuel with uninterrupted supply.
· Exports to markets such as Middle East, Europe, Bangladesh, etc.
More about the exports and imports of ceramics and associated machinery will be discussed in the coming sections (name, page number of the section, hyperlink it)